"Alive" but not working

So here is what I’ve done so far.

-Independently tested all hardware. Buttons, Arduino, MP3 SD card reader, RFID reader and speaker.

-Software compiles on Uno with no issues

-Pin out appears correct, I am using this but on an Uno TonUINO_Schaltplan.pdf (649,4 KB)

-Serial Monitor will spout gibberish when the buttons are pressed, but it does change

-SD card
(potential issue here. I am using clean my drive but I have a feeling there are still hidden files based on size)

Files on card are
MP3
Advert
01-> 001.mp3


|_ |__ | | | | | | |
| | | . | | | |- -| | | | | |
|
| |
|||||||__|

TonUINO Version 2.1
created by Thorsten Voß and licensed under GNU/GPL.
Information and contribution at https://tonuino.de.

=== loadSettingsFromFlash()
Version: 2
Maximal Volume: 25
Minimal Volume: 5
Initial Volume: 15
EQ: 1
Locked: 0
Sleep Timer: 0
Inverted Volume Buttons: 1
Admin Menu locked: 0
Admin Menu Pin: 1111
=== setstandbyTimer()
0
Firmware Version: 0x92 = v2.0
=== playShortCut()
3
Shortcut not configured!
=== volumeUp()
16
=== volumeUp()
17
=== volumeDown()
16
=== volumeDown()
15
<

What do you expect the TonUNIO to do? Everything that appears in the Serial Monitor is normal. What happens when you place a card on the rfid reader? What happens when you press all 3 button for more than one second?

When I put a card in the reader I get this

Card UID: 73 5F 53 1D
PICC type: MIFARE 1KB
Authenticating Classic using key A…
Reading data from block 4 …
Data on Card :
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

=== setupCard()
=== voiceMenu() (99 Options)

When I hold down the buttons I get this

1
=== disablestandby()
=== adminMenu()
=== voiceMenu() (12 Options)

I guess I expected it to make some sort of noise

Can you post pictures of your hardware-setup?

There IS a resistor coming off of the TX pin on the DFplayer. It’s 1K. I just used heat shrink tubing so it looks like a normal wire with some bumps.
but now I am getting com error 6 and it is super odd. I’m reading the Com error 6 post but I have to admit I am not understanding much.

__> ___ _____ _____ _____ _____

|_ |__ | | | | | | |
| | | . | | | |- -| | | | | |
|
| |
|||||||__|

TonUINO Version 2.1
created by Thorsten Voß and licensed under GNU/GPL.
Information and contribution at https://tonuino.de.

=== loadSettingsFromFlash()
Version: 2
Maximal Volume: 25
Minimal Volume: 5
Initial Volume: 15
EQ: 1
Locked: 0
Sleep Timer: 0
Inverted Volume Buttons: 1
Admin Menu locked: 0
Admin Menu Pin: 1111
=== setstandbyTimer()
0
Firmware Version: 0x92 = v2.0
=== playShortCut()
3
Shortcut not configured!
Card UID: 73 5F 53 1D
PICC type: MIFARE 1KB
Authenticating Classic using key A…
Reading data from block 4 …
Data on Card :
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Com Error 6
=== setupCard()
=== voiceMenu() (99 Options)

By chance my mp3 and advert folders are causing the issue, do you have the correct English version? I found one somewhere but now I question if I did something wrong. But german speaking does not help me, lol.

Do you use these audio messages by @stephan? Then you have to use his software too.

Just try out the original german files - even if you dont understand anything. Com 6 error means „file not found“.
What does the content of the folder on the SD card look like?

yes! Those are the ones I downloaded. But I was reading some old threads and it looks like the English was causing people trouble.

Then use his TonUino software and it should work.

That’s what I’m doing. It does not appear to be working

The SD card is

/MP3
/advert
/001
—01.mp3, 02.mp3, 03.mp3

MP3 and advert are direct downloads from the git site

Folders mustbe with two digits, files with 3 digits.

1 Like

Based on the console output, this is not what you are doing. The console output of my fork looks completely different. You are using the original DEV, which only works with the original mp3 and advert files. The firmware always has to match the files.

If you use my english mp3 and advert folders you also have to use my firmware fork.

Ok I have corrected that. I got the firmware from the right folder. When I clicked the project and went to the master folder It somehow kept bringing me to the original project. Maybe a favorites or bookmark error on my end.

I have also found my computer does not appear to be strong enough to handle the device. I have a battery pack and am able to get it to speak using that.

Now the buttons aren’t really doing anything but I get to „Lets Go!“

and

„A new card was found…“

Corrected the file names to .001, etc.

However my buttons don’t work the way they are supposed to. I can get the first song to play. Then it gets stuck.

my apologies. I was using the wrong files. I’ve always done everything from scratch on the arduino (simple robotics) using the built in sample code. Most of my projects had lines in the hundreds, not thousands, so a grab and go file system is new to me and a bit intimidating.

Please check the busy line is correctly connected:

miniplayer_pin_map

Also please be aware, the Buttons like volume up/down only work during playback… therefore the busy line is very important.

Last not least, the setup is very easy affected by loose cables etc, so soldering everything is definitely a plus.

Exciting stuff. Busy was all set. The extra power from the battery pack seems to really make a difference. I got the buttons to respond. I was able to program one card.

For some reason in my folder 01 it dosn’t see songs 002, 003, 004
But it will read folder 02 song 001. (I added it after I had song 001 on a card). It acts like it’s going to add song Folder 02/001 but then it gives me an error.

More troubleshooting for me.